Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sunday 9th June 2013

Lough Key House, Boyle, Co. Roscommon. Ireland
Arriving on Saturday evening, I slept the night in this comfortable country house B&B.  I had spent much of the afternoon in and around Carrick on Shannon showing Elisabeth the many places I had visited a few weeks previously when I attended there the John McGahern seminar.  In town I renewed my acquaintanceship  Orlagh Kelly at her splendid ‘Reading Room’ bookshop and to eat again in the superb ‘Oarsman Gastro Pub’ a few doors along the road.

This morning Elisabeth and I had to make an early start for the drive up to Larne from where we took the midday ferry for Cainryan, Scotland for me to begin my drive home to a long hot Greek summer while Elisabeth took off from Glasgow airport for the cool of her summer in Iceland.

Before the end of this year, however, Ireland, The Reading Room and Frances McDonagh at Loch Key house will see us both back again.


2 comments:

Andrew MacLaren-Scott said...

Photos coming of the trip from Cairnryan to Greece?

John Foster said...

Now the summer has passed and I have only myself to please I hope to return to my greatest pleasures; reading, writing, sketching, painting and, in fair weather, strolling!