Monday, September 20, 2010

What did he want of me?

As I strolled home after lunch yesterday I had an uncomfortable feeling that I was being followed.  I turned to check and there he was; tall and dark and close enough to be touching me.  I asked him what he wanted of me but got no reply so continued on.  With silent step the fellow remained with me all afternoon, sometimes venturing from behind to stroll beside me , oddly, only to my right, never to my left.  Occasionally, after rounding a sharp bend in the road, he would suddenly appear directly in front of me, menacing, as if trying to block my path.  When that happened I did my best to stamp on him but he always seemed to manage to be one step ahead of me.  Eventually, as the sun sank below the mountain, I managed to shake him off.  It was an altogether most unsettling experience.

2 comments:

The Flying Tortoise said...

Perhaps if you see him again, you might ask. Very enjoyable John...

DavidW said...

How disconcerting, John. A short round man at noon becomes elongated and thin by late afternoon, and then disappears at nightfall (unless of course the moon betrays his presence).
But then.........
'Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard of no more' (Stratford Will)