Monday, August 9, 2010

A Fine New Building

On top of a small round hill not far from my home someone, reputedly a French person, is building a truly magnificent house.  The house, built on a huge stone clad plinth of what I imagine will be garages and utility rooms, is four storeys high.  It is vaguely octagonal with a shallow domed roof.  It is a big house, a very big house, but its Italianate, rather Palladian, design reflects considerable taste.  For me it is an excellent example of how something man produced can add to, rather than detract from a landscape; a building in a landscape of mountain, sea and wilderness adding up to much more than the sum of the parts of the scene.
The viewpoint from which I took the photograph is several kilomeres away from, and several hundred metres above, the building.  In due course I hope to get photographs from a closer viewpoint.

No comments: